How to change what fields are in a database
(Back to Index)
If you have created a database with EX3P, you may want to change the
fields that are in it.
The basic procedure to change the fields is to:
- Go into EX3P
- Select ISTRUCTURE
- Change the fields list to what you want by using the following keys:
ALT-C to clear all marked items (if you need to)
ENTER to mark an item (or unmark one that is marked)
ALT-X when you are done
Answer "Y" to rewrite the .def file
- Select BACKUP to backup the database
- Select ERASE to erase the database
- Select RESTORE to read the data back in using the new structure
Here is the response to one person who wanted to add field 173 to their
HERE ARE THE STEPS FOR FIXING YOUR DATABASE:
- CREATE (OR MODIFY) YOUR FLEX REPORT (BIN) IN DEF.
- SPOOL YOUR RIS REPORT FOR BIN. (ENTIRE STORE)
- GO TO RDEF FROM THE EZ SOFTWARE MENU TO READ IN NEW REPORT
DEFINITIONS FOR BIN.
- GO TO PCPRINT FROM THE EZ SOFTWARE MENU AND DOWNLOAD THE RIS
REPORT. (SAVE AS SPREADSHEET) DBASE.DAT
- GO TO IMUP FROM THE EZ SOFTWARE MENU:
- CHOOSE ISTRUCTURE AND TAG FIELD 173 EXP CODES A.
- (SAVE NEW DEFINITION.)
- CHOOSE ERASE TO DELETE THE CURRENT IMU DATABASE.
- CHOOSE IREAD TO READ IN THE NEW FILE DBASE.DAT.
- YOU DATABASE WILL NOW INCLUDE FILED 173 AND YOUR
"NUMBER OF FACINGS" LABEL FEATURE SHOULD NOW WORK CORRECTLY. (PROVIDED YOU USED
ONE OF THE EXPANDED USER CODE A POSITIONS AS THE NUMBER OF LABELS NEEDED.)