How to use Excel files with EZ_Software
(back to Index)
EZ_Software has capabilities to download data from the Triad to the PC and to upload
data from the PC to the Triad. The Excel spreadsheet program offers a good way to
work with these files while they are on the PC.
EZ uses two types of file formats: "quote and
comma", and "fixed format".
Here is how to read a "quote and comma" file into Excel:
- In excel, click FILE and then OPEN. For "Files of type" (at the bottom
of the dialog box), select "All files"
- You will now see a list of all files. Double click on the file you want to open.
The "Text Import Wizard" will now appear.
- Click on "Delimited", then click "Next".
- In "Delimiters" only "Comma" should be checked (the default
"Tab" should be unchecked). "Text Qualifier" is a quote mark
(this should appear as the default). Now click "Next".
- For "Column Data Format", all columns should be set to "Text".
This is especially important for SKU's and UPC's so they don't lose any leading
zeroes they may have. The only columns you may want to leave as the default
"General" format are prices and quantities which are all numeric. To
format a column, click on the column and then click on the format. The name of the
format will appear at the top of each column. There is a slide bar you can use if
there are too many columns to fit on the screen. Click "Finish".
- Your data will now appear in excel.
Here is how to save an Excel file as "fixed format" for EZ
- In Excel, make sure that your columns are wide enough to hold the data. One way to
do this is to hilight (select) all columns, and then select "FORMAT",
"COLUMN", "AUTOFIT SELECTION" from the Excel menu.
- Now make sure that the field number appears at the top of each column. For
example, UPC is field number 149, so the UPC column would have a 149 above it.
- Make sure these field numbers are right justified.
- Click "FILE", then "SAVE AS", then for "SAVE AS TYPE"
select "FORMATTED TEXT (SPACE DELIMITED) (*.PRN)". Then click
"SAVE". This will save your file as a ".prn" file that can be
used as input to any of the EZ_Software programs.
- Optional Step: If you are planning to edit or view the file with EZ_EDIT, you
should use the EZ_EDIT CONVERT option to make sure that all lines in the file are the same
length. If you are not going to use the file with EZ_EDIT you do not need to do
In EZ_EDIT, select CONVERT
Use the following options:
Fields in output File: SAME
Data Lookup: NONE
Primary Lookup: N
Use a secondary Lookup: N
Output file type: QUOTE AND COMMA WITH HEADER
Then select START to convert the file.
A "quote and comma" file is simply a file that uses quotes and commas to
seperate the data. For EZ_Software the first line of these files is a
"header" that lists the fields in the file. The field numbers in the
header are seperated by commas. EZ programs create "quote and comma" files
by default. Here is an example:
A fixed format file is a file where each column holds a constant width. The field
numbers in the header are not seperated by commas. Instead, they mark the end of
each column. EZ programs can read fixed format files. Here is an example:
123456 012345543219 Hammer
654321 054321123459 Screwdriver